After the discovery of the New World, the land that became North Olmsted was originally part of the French colony of Canada (New France), which was ceded in 1763 to Great Britain and renamed Province of Quebec. In the late 18th century the land became part of the Connecticut Western Reserve in the Northwest Territory, then was purchased by the Connecticut Land Company in 1795.
In 1806, the vast tract of land comprising present-day North Olmsted, Olmsted Falls and Olmsted Township was purchased for $30,000 by Aaron Olmsted, a wealthy sea captain. In 1815, David Johnson Stearns of Vermont was followed by other pioneers from New England who established a settlement in the wilderness.
Earliest records show the area was called Kingston. In 1823 the people organized into a township called Lenox. In 1826, Aaron Olmsted's son, Charles Hyde Olmsted, offered to donate books from his father's personal collection in Connecticut, if the residents of Lenox agreed to change the name of the area to Olmstead to honor his father. These books became known as the Ox Cart Library.
On March 1, 1931, the village of North Olmsted started the historical North Olmsted Municipal Bus Line, one of the first, as well as one of the oldest, municipal transit systems in the United States, which was in operation for over 74 years until March 20, 2005, when it was absorbed into the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority.